Saturday, January 10, 2015

Cooking Corner - Homemade Chicken Cordon Bleu

So this week's inspiration was dairy. I had quite a few thoughts, but Chicken Cordon Bleu stuck out to me. Mom and I love it and we're always craving it, but we'd always buy the frozen version, which for some reason is a seasonal item that's only available in the winter. Add to that the fact that our grocery store started carrying a different, subpar brand, and we hadn't eaten it in a while. So I figured I should figure out how to make it myself!

Fortunately, this one is SUPER simple! We only had bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, no big deal, I can butcher up a chicken thigh with ease! So I tore off the skin and sliced out the bone and we were ready to go to work. I used my trusty mallet to flatted the chicken a little more. I then put on a slice of ham, a slice of cheese, and another slice of ham, and rolled it up. Because it was my first time, I chose to hold it together by skewering it closed with toothpicks.

Next you take a bowl which has 4 tablespoons of melted butter and three tablespoons of olive oil mixed together (or however much you need, keeping those proportions - since there are only two of us, I halved it). Put your chicken in the bowl and give it a good coating. Then the chicken goes into a bowl with a 50/50 mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese (this time I used shredded, but in the future I'll be using grated) and give it a nice coating.

Finally, we throw it in a pan, into the oven at 375 for 30 minutes. That's it! Easy! Doesn't it look delicious?!






It tasted just as good. Oh and that beautiful creamy gold flowing over the top? I whipped up a simple, homemade hollandaise. The ratio is 1-2 teaspoon of lemon juice per egg yolk, depending on how citrussy you want it. Whisk together in a stainless steel bowl. Put it over a pot of simmering water for a double boiler and whisk furiously, making sure that egg doesn't cook. Once it has thickened, whisk in, in tiny little cubes, 1 tablespoon of butter per egg yolk. Remove and return to the heat as needed, always whisking. Keep it warm when you're done and you're good! Seriously - I LOVE HOLLANDAISE!

No comments:

Post a Comment